A Third Culture Kid (TCK) is anyone who has been raised in more than one culture. Somewhere along the way we become a mixture of these cultures, never quite fitting into either. Instead we become a culture all our own, wearers of metaphorical green shirts in a world of blues and yellows. My name is Ash and I'm a TCK. This is what the world looks like through my eyes.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Three Questions TCKs Hate


As a TCK, I’m used to people asking me questions.  Especially when they find out that I’ve lived out of the country.  Some of these are intelligent questions that I enjoy answering.  “What’s your favorite Polish food?”  “How many languages can you speak?”  “How do you say this in this language?”  And then, of course, there the ones that leave me torn between the desires to laugh out loud or cry.  “Did you live in an igloo?”  “Do you know what email is?”  “Do they have cars where you come from?”  Sometimes, when I’ve finally had it with the absurd questions, I’m highly tempted to tell people (with a perfectly straight face) that I live in a house made of snow with my pet polar bear in a place where everyone dresses in animal skins and goes ice-fishing on the weekends and dinner consists of whichever student did the poorest on their math exam.  But, unfortunately, my conscience won’t permit it.  So instead I just answer politely, and later when the person is finally gone I relay the story to my parents and we all laugh until we cry.  A wise person once said that there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask questions.  On days like that I’m inclined to agree. 

Yes, TCKs are used to being asked questions.  But there are three of them, particularly for missionary kids, that we hate above all others.  The first of them, ironically enough, is the one we get asked the most.  This is the dreaded origin question, the one that every new student gets asked about five hundred times on their first day.  “Where are you from?”  For someone who has lived in the same place their entire life, this question is fairly simple.  But for a kid who needs more than one hand to count the times they’ve moved and whose list of former places of residence includes two countries or more, answering that simple question quickly becomes a nightmare. 

Most TCKs I know, myself included, have no set answer to that question.  Instead, our answer is determined by the situation.  As soon as someone asks us the dreaded question we immediately begin a dizzying round of calculations.  “How well do I know this person?  How often am I likely to be around them in the near future?  How much time do I have to tell my story?  How much of it do they actually want to hear?  How much of it will they understand?  How much do I even want them to know?  Do I tell them where I was born, where my parents consider home, where I consider home, or just the last place I lived?  Do they expect me to give a certain answer?  Do I feel like answering more questions if they start asking, or should I just tell them what they want to hear?”  If that isn’t enough, each of these questions has to be answered and evaluated and all of them pulled together into a concrete verbal answer in about three seconds or less if we want to avoid looking like mute idiots.  Now you know why we sometimes stutter or our eyes glaze over when someone asks. 

The main problem with this question, however, is not how many options are available for us to use as answers.  The real problem is simply that half the time TCKs don’t even know where they consider to be home.  Our birth certificates say one thing, but our hearts say another.  So which of those is it?  There simply is no easy answer.  That doesn’t mean you should never ask a TCK where they’re from.  Just make sure you have sufficient time for us to fully answer the question.  And don’t get frustrated if it takes us five minutes to come up with an answer that then takes ten minutes to explain.  The fact that we can give you an answer at all is pretty remarkable. 

The second question that can quickly become a problem is “Which place do you like better?”  Now this question is fine if it comes from someone who is close to us or has a similar background or is interested in the profession that took us to that place or is just genuinely curious.  The problem comes in when the asker is an overly patriotic person who has obviously never left the country (possibly even their own county) and clearly expects you to answer the question with “America.”  I cannot even begin to describe how infuriating that is.  When asking this question of a TCK it is absolutely vital to remember that we’re green people at heart.  There is definitely some blue in there, but some of us are totally convinced that we should have been born yellow.  And the truth is, we may very possibly love our second country far more than we love America.  It isn’t a reason to get offended.  It’s just who we are. 

Myself, I would usually far rather be in Poland.  As much as I respect the ideals that America was founded on, I find the country we have become to be slightly over-rated.  I miss good Polish food that wasn’t drowning in grease or salt.  I miss the beautiful architecture and the sheer magic of a world where to call a building “old” meant it had been around since the middle ages.  I miss the cobblestone streets and the public transportation.  I miss the beauty of being able to listen to a flurry of different languages all around me without my brain being overloaded by the ability to understand every single word.  Even as I write this paragraph I find myself getting a bit emotional.  Poland may not be my birth country, but I love it and its people in the way one loves an old and dear friend. 

And yet I am a Third Culture Kid.  We have been raised between two cultures, and regardless of how we feel in our hearts many of us are convinced that by choosing a side we are somehow betraying someone.  To choose our “foreign” country is to betray our extended family and the expectations of our birth culture.  But to choose America is to betray the people and places that we consider home.  Either way, we lose. 

Keep in mind that the problem is not the question.  The problem is how it is presented.  A genuinely curious question will give a TCK a chance to truly express their heart and will probably earn you their friendship as a result.  But a tone that clearly expects them to choose a particular answer will do more harm than good.  I have seen TCKs mentally shut down or even write a person off entirely for asking the question in a way that is clearly waiting for a particular answer.  Be open.  Be willing to listen to whatever answer we give instead of automatically writing us off as unpatriotic.  Because while most TCKs crave belonging above all else, the thing we want second is someone who will simply listen to us.  Someone who will at least try to understand, even if they never really do.  Someone who won’t try to make us blue or yellow, but who will instead accept us for the people that we are, green shirts and all. 

But the question that most TCKs, especially missionary kids, hate the worst is “Aren’t you glad to be home?”  After the last few paragraphs, you can probably see the fatal flaw with this question.  It makes the automatic assumption that the kid in question thinks of wherever they currently are as home.  But that isn’t necessarily the case.  And when it isn’t, this question doesn’t help matters.  More often than not it just worsens any homesickness we’re already feeling.  Sometimes is may even make us feel guilty.  Are we supposed to think of America as home?  Why don’t we?  Does that make us bad people?  Unless you really have managed to hit the nail on the head and this kid does in fact consider America to be home, this question will only make them feel more alienated and out of place than they probably already do. 

Personally, my answer to this question is always a loud “No.”  Now I may not actually voice that answer out loud depending on the situation.  But that’s still my answer.  My reason?  I don’t think of America as home anymore.  I don’t necessarily hate it.  I just have days where I don’t feel like I fit, days when I’d rather be anywhere else but here.  As Thousand Foot Krutch says in one of their songs, “This place is many things, but I can’t call it home.”  In fact, some days I don’t even know where home is.  Some days I love where I am.  Other days I would give anything to go back to Poland. 

But how can I explain that to someone who has never left the country?  How can I make them understand that I get a headache from sitting in a loud cafeteria where I can understand every word of every conversation surrounding me?  How do I explain the annoyance of having to drive to Wal-Mart when I’m suddenly craving a good candy bar?  How can I make people understand how much I miss the beauty of standing on a balcony that looks out on of a string of other cement apartment buildings?  The truth is, I can’t. 

Maybe that’s why that question can cut so deep sometimes.  Because it takes everything I feel for that beautiful country and pretends none of it exists.  It assumes that just because my passport says United States of America that I am somehow obligated to walk around proclaiming how much I love my birth country.  It assumes that the words on my birth certificate are somehow more meaningful and important than what I feel in my heart.  And that thought is crushing.  That isn’t the intention, of course.  Nobody who asks that question is ever out to make a TCK feel bad.  But regardless of their intentions, that’s often the result. 

The moral of the story, then, is to make no assumptions.  Don’t assume that you know us or where we consider home.  And don’t get tired of listening to us talk about that place either.  They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.  Well, the way to a TCK’s is through the country they consider home.  We are who we are because of where we’ve been.  Blue doesn’t become green unless you throw in the yellow.  So if you really want to know us, you’ll have to take it all.
 

-Ash

20 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your Three Questions post - accurate, articulate, and direct without blowing people away. Thank you for not ranting, that wouldn't have been helpful any way.

    I also like your post explaining TCKs as wearing green shirts. You've got a good handle on the entire context. Now I'm wondering if I'll get to read your first book. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your kind words. :) I am continually trying, and failing, to find a way to express these feelings to my college friends, and I finally decided it would be better to write them out. I've received so much positive feedback. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Ash,
    Right on and write on! I have been a TCK for the last 40 years of my life. Started this journey as a two-year-old in Africa and moved to Europe as an adult. What a great and concise view of who we are! I hate the "where are you from?" question, even when I am here in my third (or is it 4th?) culture. It just points out that I have done or said something that proves I don't belong here. It opens the door to all the head-spinning questions that you mentioned and even worse, reveals the pain in my heart that I am not really "home" anywhere on this planet. However, maybe that is one of the best things about being a TCK. It reminds us that we are not "home" until He calls us home. Hebrews 11:38-40.
    Keep writing!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the "where are you from" question is always one I stumble over. There just is no simple answer. Especially when we honestly don't know where home is. But as you mentioned, it is a good reminder to us that our true home is in heaven, and someday when we get there we will finally belong completely. I can't wait. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heart...my grandkids are TCK's and though they are still pretty little, one of these days will be dealing witgh the issues you bring up here. I appreciate your insights and it does help me to understand what they will be going through. Fortunately for you the world is getting smaller, and more and more of us are travelling to the ends of the earth. This does help give us a bigger perspective on life and hopefully better understanding of the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your kind words of encouragement. It does indeed help that the world is getting smaller. I hope this blog will continue to help you better understand what your grandchildren may someday feel.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this post, Ash. My kids are TCKs, and we lived in Poland long enough to fall in love and truly mean it when we said we felt at home before the Lord turned us around and scooted us back to the States. You've expressed our hearts so well...all of us (even we parents who didn't grow up there). We're who we are because of where the Lord has taken us, and our hearts--in suburban America--are still on pilgrimage. Z Bogiem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awesome to hear from another person who lived in Poland. :) I am absolutely in love with that beautiful country, and I hop that someday I will be able to move back there. Z Bogiem!

      Delete
  5. Great post. You express so well what our 2 TCKs often feel. Our daughter, who has lived in the US for the last 13 years, still laments that she often doesn't get the US, it's idioms, and it's cultural references that she missed growing up in Kenya. And, frankly, we, their parents, feel the same way, though perhaps not quite to the depth of TCKs. After all, our formative years were usually spent in our "home" country.

    (What I don't "get" are CAPTCHA'S, those annoying security words that are designed to thwart automated internet spiders and other creatures. It almost always takes me 3-4 or more tries to get them right. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you know? After complaining about CAPTCHAs, I got it right on the first try!

      Delete
    2. Yes, TCKs never do quite seem to feel at home in American culture. But this only serves to remind us that our true home is in heaven, and that someday when we arrive there we wil find a place where we belong completely and totally. Thank-you for reading!

      Delete
  6. I was recently asked the "where are you from" question and my thoughts followed the exact same pattern. Ha! Great post! I'll be looking forward to following you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT POST, Ash! I just read a bit of it to my 16 yr old daughter (we're living in the Philippines). She said, "So true!" She was aghast that anyone would actually ask those questions...esp the last two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I've been able to captture what other TCKs feel as well. :) Yes, it can be a bit shocking for a TCK to hear some of those questions. It's important to remember that the person asking those questions has probably never left the country and can't even imagine calling anywhere else home. But that doesn't mean we have to feel the same way about America that they do. Thanks so much for the feedback!

      Delete
  8. So. True.
    As an MK from Africa, I've had a few interesting questions lobbed my way, from "How do you stay safe from lions?" to "Why are you white, then?", but I agree; the three you posted are some of the worst. Add to that the whole "which do you like better?" and you're left there wondering whether to give the expected answer or spend the next hour rambling on why you're not sure...

    anyways, yeah. I agree wholeheartedly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey thanks for the post.

    Great one!
    I am alwasy given this question. and I the way I answer this goes like. "the country I live in is like my best friend. I know him well, his good pionts and his bad, and I spend a lot of time with him. Almost everyday. But my "home" country is more like a second cosian that I see almost never, but , somehow, I'm supposed to feel connected to, I mean I am related to this person in some ways, but really, my parents feel connected to this person far more then I ever have."

    But yeah, once agian thanks for the wonderful post. :) It was encouraging to know I'm not the only one pestered with such a delilema. :)

    -from singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Ash! I love the way you honestly address those hard questions. Keep writing and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This is beyond accurate. I only lived in Spain for my Senior year in high school but right now, it still feels like home. I am a freshman at NC State University and it seems like nobody understands. Many times I don't even tell people that my parents are missionaries. Keep posting! I will definitely be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing. As a fellow kid in the green shirt (TCK), you nailed it! These are all the questions I hated to be asked (still). As a TCK returning overseas, you become a deeper green (live on another continent than I grew up). Thanks for vocalizing what so many feel. Thanks for clearly expressing the heart of a TCK. This is beneficial for TCKs, parents, and families in the US.

    ReplyDelete